Thursday, August 2, 2012

Pride

I had a really interesting discussion with my sons this morning.

We were watching the Today show and their coverage of the Olympics. A story came on about the parents of Olympians and how family support is so important.

My son, Linus, said to me, "Wow Mom, I bet if Michael Phelps were your son you'd be really proud of him." And I replied, "Yes I would. But I'm also really proud of my own sons. You guys are amazing!"

They both huffed and said, "yeah, whatever" and "we're not special." That just about BROKE MY HEART. It made my heart drop into my stomach because they couldn't see how special they were. They devalued their self-worth and it made me so sad. It also broke me a little bit to realize that it's the same thing I do with myself.

I got very serious and I told them, "Look here. You do NOT measure your success against other people. You only measure your success against your own ability and your own persistence. Got it? You know yourself, your abilities, your opportunities. You should be proud of yourself. Because I am. Honestly and truly and completely. I DO think you're amazing."

My kids ARE amazing. Maybe not in such unique ways as earning an Olympic gold medal, but they are amazing to me. They are funny, and smart, and kind. They are not afraid to share their faith with others. They are strong enough to not bow to peer pressure. They are the perfect mix of maturity without acting too old for their ages. Mostly, I just think they are amazing because of all the ways I know them that only a mother can know her children. I'm really proud of who they have become.

I don't know why it is hard to have that same pride in myself. I guess maybe it's because I know what it feels like to fail. I know what it feels like to achieve less than my best. But I'm really hoping - and trying - to see myself through the eyes of others, the way I see my own kids.


Texan Mama

4 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

What a good perspective!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I'm proud of you!

Gigi said...

It does break your heart to hear your kids say things like that....especially since you KNOW how awesome they are.

Remember how when they were small and they knew they were awesome? Too bad there isn't a way to keep them in that mindset.

How to fix it - in them and in us? I don't have a clue.

Aleta said...

I"m proud of you too!

And they might have said, "Yeah right".. but just the fact that you said you're proud of them put a light in their heart!