Thursday, July 25, 2013

elephant bites

We just got home from a week's vacation. Our vacations are never fancy. 9 times out of 10, "vacation" is visiting family. This week was one of the 9 out of 10.

We stopped in one town on our way to the other, then in that same town on the way back home. We left two kids with one set of grandparents, one kid with the other set, and returned home with our two little girls. The house is a lot quieter for a few days. We'll pick up the big kids on Monday.

The whole ride home all I kept thinking about was all the activities I'd do once I got home...

make flyers for my local MOPS group... color my hair... pick up the boys' room and give it a good cleaning... photograph all the stuff I didn't sell in the garage sale and post in on our local FB for sale group... gather the school supplies for the new year... get my checkbook in order... clean and tidy all the rooms one by one, and give them some attention they've been lacking... finish painting the bathroom...

Then I got home to my house. And holy hell, my house is a giant elephant. What I mean by that is this: have you ever heard the expression "How do you eat an elephant?" the answer is "One bite at a time." Upon entering my house, I found it to be cleaned up enough, but there were random piles of crap everywhere. And actually, I never noticed all the random piles of crap until I spent a week at my parents' and in-laws' houses, where they have really nice clean tidy houses. No crap. No piles. Nicely decorated. I come home to my house with the vanilla walls, nothing interesting on the walls (except dirty handprints and holes where the drywall has crumbled), junk lying everywhere that could be classified as "I know I don't want to throw that away but I don't have a specific place for it either."

I went down to the boys' room and I found.... mold. and ants. and it almost broke my heart. We finished this room about 4 months ago and we've been working on it for 18 months up until then. We moved into a 3-bedroom house with 5 kids. We knew we'd need more bedrooms and so we built them. But this bedroom is in the basement, and it's next to our well, and we don't have a dehumidifier down there. There was mold growing on a couch in their room, and the whole room just FEELS damp. The ants, I'm sure, came in because of the dampness also. It's just so disheartening because they boys waited for a long time to get that bedroom, and now we don't know what will happen next... hopefully getting a dehumidifier will do the trick but if not, will we have to tear the room apart? And in the mean time how are we going to get rid of the ants? Don't even make me tell you about the 2 mice we found in the mouse traps. ew. Mice are just a part of living in the country and they don't bother me so much... but I don't want to think about them running around near my boys' room where they sleep.

So anyway, I've got this giant elephant. And I'm trying to eat it one bite at a time. But the thing is, I feel like I'm eating this giant elephant, and the whole time I have this other elephant to eat too which is called LAUNDRY and this other elephant called DISHES and another elephant called TAKING CARE OF MY CHILDREN. So I've got to eat 4 elephants all at the same time and ... I'm just having trouble stuffing it all in, know what I mean?



Texan Mama

6 comments:

Cyn Franklin said...

Good to see your posts again! I've missed reading them. I don't know how you do it...I have one 14 month old, a disabled veteran husband and 3 cats to take care of...our house is full of elephants!

Gigi said...

I'm convinced that the reason the parents and in-laws don't have piles is because they don't have children in the home. And because, somehow, those women have trained their husbands not to pile stuff up. Ask them how they did that - because mine is a classic piler. If I went around un-piling all the stuff he leaves around, I wouldn't have time to go to work!

And the elephant analogy? PERFECT!

Tara R. said...

That's it.. my house is an elephant. There are days I just sit dumbfounded as to where to start. There is so much to do, and can't even make a dent in it.

kristi said...

Bless your heart. I know what you mean, we lived in a fixer upper for 10 years and it was never frickin ending!

GunDiva said...

Those damn elephants. I hate them. I have several myself, so you're not alone.

Sorry, wish I had a magic wand to make those elephants disappear.

We are Three said...

You sound so overwhelmed. I wish that I knew you and could help. I really, really do. All I can do is send you a big hug across the internet and hope you can find some peace. You sound like me a few years ago. PLease see a dr. for some anti-anxiety medication. It will make a huge difference.