Saturday, August 3, 2013

job search

So. Due to circumstances totally within my control and absolutely the fault of everyone in my family.... we need more income. So I applied for a job at a local gas station/convenience store.

And they rejected my application. I can't even tell you how much that stings.

I went on Craigslist and found a lot of job offerings. Some of them iffy, some of them sounded real but once I investigated they also seemed not so legit. I applied for medical clinical trials but my husband absolutely protested, and I thought about it some more, and decided it's not worth the risk. I also looked into a tutoring service but then found out, it's a place where I pay $20 and they list my name on a service. That's it. So I'm thinking, NOT worth it. I know, not a lot of money but I think I'd probably be better off just listing my own tutoring credentials on craigslist for free. I applied for some kind of work-from-home, pay-per-click internet thing. I have to find out more about it to see if it's worth it or a waste of time. I thought it might be something where I surf the web, and I click on stuff that their clients want me to click on so that their page rank goes up or something like that, but like I said, I need to find out more to be sure. That doesn't seem like it would be so bad - I could do it in my spare time at home, and I could get as much out of it as I decide to put into it. But, I know, there's no free lunch so I am hoping to get more info.

Now I'm sure you're asking yourself, "wait, what about your photography business?" Yep, I'm really trying to get that going. But after lots of soul searching, I have decided to price myself at a point where it makes financial sense for me to do it. That means my prices are higher than what many people can spend. It's not outrageous, but it's definitely a luxury-priced item. Many folks in our town don't want to, or can't, pay for luxury items like custom photography. And maybe they can afford it but think of it as a waste of money (that's how I feel about Coach purses, but that's just me.) I totally get that - different values for different people. It's just hard to get folks to understand why my business is so expensive. Big businesses, like Sears or JCPenneys, make money on other things and their photo studios are actually not designed to make money - they are designed to get customers in the door to shop in their store. The problem is getting the average consumer to understand the difference between JC Penneys and myself (like the difference between a Target purse and a Coach purse). So, anyway, the business is VERY slow-going. I've offered sales and special promotions but people just aren't exactly flocking to me.

It's a very hard thing to navigate, to figure out: how to pay for everything that everyone "needs". I am realizing I'm very weak when it comes to saying no to my husband and my children. I hate disappointing anyone. Just yesterday, my husband wanted to go to get ice cream, then go to the drive-in movies. I had to tell him, "hon, let's do one or the other. We just can't afford to do both." I'm learning more cost-saving ways (like going to Dollar Tree for ice cream that's only a buck, instead of Dairy Queen where it's $3-$5 each) but it's slow-going.

I'm hoping I find something. Ideally it would be something that I can work at through the night, so we don't have to find a babysitter for the littlest one. The choices for that are limited. So, I guess I'll just keep looking.


Texan Mama

3 comments:

Gigi said...

This is what I learned during Hubby's extended unemployment - you won't find a legitimate job on Craigslist. I would suggest Indeed.com or Monster.com.

How about substitute teaching? You were a math teacher - I bet the schools would love to have you.

Jennifer said...

I think tutoring would be a really good option, especially when school starts back. It sucks that people aren't paying for the photography though. They have no idea what they're missing.

The Borrowed Nest said...

Not sure where you live in Texas, I'm in N. Ft. Worth and our neighborhood (3,000+) residents have a FB page where people can advertise services. Even though photography is high priced, I've seen many advertise "mini-sessions" for back to school, fall,etc. that ARE affordable for most people. May be an option for you :)